During those jobless hours at work, I stumbled upon articles and blogs giving reasons for “why should you travel” or “why a woman should wander”. Probably it has got something to do with my rebel nature that I find such posts too preachy and refrain myself from just following what someone wants me to do. I believe every one of us have our own reasons to travel, be it the craving for adventure, seek peace or just out of restlessness. I tried to jot down what makes me hit the road and surprisingly it came out to be a list longer than I expected (I never cease to surprise myself, you see 😛 ). If you are able to relate to any of the ideas below.. bingo, You might wanna try the other ones too! Here we go:
- J.O.U.R.N.E.Y: Coz I love being on a journey rather than reaching the destination. I derive the ultimate pleasure out of a trip when you start an overnight journey from an overcrowded bus stop in a concrete jungle and wake up making your way through lush green paddy fields or vast coconut farms.
- Medieval times: Coz sometimes I end up staying at a vintage homestay in the middle of an abandoned valley, with no access to wi fi or telephone network. That’s when I turn my eyes away from Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp and all the other so called social networks and actually get into real socializing with people around me.
- Surprizzzze!!: Coz I get to see the other side of the people who I thought I knew in and out. Like on a trip, when we actually had a drink with my otherwise strict dad and even made mom try a sip of Breezer, I realized how totally cool my parents are!
- Coz when I am travelling with a long lost school friend and a midnight coffee from the highway CCD gives me a kick that we end up reliving all those school days making fun of that Sanskrit and Physical education teacher. This trip actually made me feel how simple life was once upon a time and what joys a ringing school bell gave us! Oh did I mention, I even managed to pull out the current relationship status of my teenage crush *grin*!
- Chhhutttii!!! : Coz there’s no better excuse to escape from your mundane life and daily chores than to satisfy your wanderlust. I have tried all of those bullets on a list of 51 best excuses for a day off from work and trust me, I actually started feeling sick when I took a sick leave to spend some time with myself at home 😀
- Get wild: Remember when they said, you spend time with yourself amidst nature and connect to your soul, introspecting your deeds and plans? yeah well this Karma thing just doesn’t work for me 😛 Instead when I ain’t got anything to do, I jump into the wilderness around me .. The coffee plants in Chikmagalur, the strawberry orchids in Mahabaleshwar, the tea estates in Munnar or just a stroll along the nearby water stream. Coz for a change its better to let a leech suck your blood than a moron boss.
- Nothing good happens after 11: Coz the idea of fun on a Saturday night would be dinner in a civilized posh restaurant, party in a wild club or night out at a friend’s place which again gets monotonous after a while. What kindles me is the idea of rolling on the floor laughing by the bonfire in a camp when one of my friends are telling their most embarrassing moment, or sharing that dramatic horror story at bedtime can never be a flop.
- Reality check: Travelling with strangers is fun! I get into all the random talk with these people and discuss about their habits and interests who help me conclude I am as normal as these people or they are as weird as I am.
- Myth buster: I have lots of myths about places, people, food and even myself. I owe this to all those guys I used to ogle during the science and geography classes (please note that there weren’t many good looking guys in my batch, but thank god for seniors!! 😉 ). So a new place might even gift me an eye opener fact that stays with me forever.
- etc.: Other reasons include, getting to relish on the local cuisines giving your taste buds a treat, learn a word or two from other languages and flaunt later, catch a breath of fresh air feeling that your system has been cleaned.
Phew! Guess, it’s time to plan another trip and let my hair down .. HEY HO, LETS GO!